Friday, July 22, 2011

Euro-Chic Names: Don't Mess With Axel.

Recently, I was bored at work. To solve this problem, I went looking for new names. Since this is so often my solution, however, it’s difficult for me to find said ‘new’ names. Not to brag or anything, but I know a lot of names. Even if I do find a name I haven’t seen before, it’s usually ugly. So, to find cool new names is a little like finding my size in a pair of Joe’s Jeans on sale at T.J. Maxx. Now. That being said, today I sorted through tons of lists from Europe, and found some beauts that are rarely found on our side of the Atlantic, among them:
Girls:
Lærke (Danish)- pronounced LAYR-ka, it’s the Danish word for “lark” and it has a beautiful sound. It’s popular over there right now, unheard of here. (And, I’m guessing, many other places). I also like just plain Lark. It has a down to earth, yet whimsical vibe.
Sunniva (Norwegian)- pronounced Soon-ee-va, it means "gift from the sun," which is just plain awesome. I love the nickname possibilities, like Sunny, Niva, Evie, etc. 
Solveig (Norwegian)- before you gag, it’s not pronounced Sawl-veeg, which would not be the greatest sound, but “Sole-vay,” which I think is really unique and sweet. 
Nova, Novalie (used in a number of Scandanavian countries)- Both are awesome. They remind me of stars, because that’s what they mean, but believe it or not, Nova was not unheard of here in the U.S., circa 1880-1900.
Madelief (the Netherlands)- pronounced Mad-a-LEEF, what’s not to like about this name? It’s like I get to use Madeleine without all the aggravating popularity, and make it sound even BETTER. Only caveat is that it almost sounds invented, and I hate invented. 
Romy (the Netherlands)- This is cute, easy to say and spell, and unusual. Used as a nickname for Rosemary or on its own, I prefer it as a nickname for Rosemary, just because straight up nickname-names aren't my cup of tea. They're not substantial enough. 
Esmee (the Netherlands)- I like it spelled with one e at the end, but still, a gorgeous name (EZ-may) that Lemony Snicket as well as J.R. Salinger have used. Literary cred, check.
Meritxell (Catalonia)- This name is so cool, for so many reasons. (Muh-ree-CHEL). First of all, it has an x in it. Second of all, it sounds like Michelle and Rachel, which are well established, traditional names, but it isn’t. And third of all, it’s insanely unique. That checks a lot of boxes for me.
Jana (Belgium)- YAH-na. Short, cool sound, unique. Can’t go wrong.
Luna (Belgium)- I love this name...the “lu” sound, the moon meaning, the easy spelling and pronunciation, the Harry Potter reference, the Luna Park reference...so much going for it that I think it’s only a matter of time before its popularity skyrockets. I've seen it being tossed around on the message boards quite a bit.
Boys:
Theo (Belgium)- Not Theo, like "thee-oh". TAY-o.
Sander (Belgium)- Sander sweeps me away with its swarthy sexy sound.
Finn (Ireland, Netherlands)- one syllable THWACK of coolness. It’s getting popular really fast, though.
Casper (Netherlands)- Forget the Friendly Ghost. Casper comes from the name of one of the Three Kings that delivered presents to baby Jesus, it has a cool modern sound, and it’s got the “er” ending I’m fond of. 
Bram (Netherlands)- BRAHM, like Bram Stoker. It’s short and powerful without losing a sense of intelligence.
Sem (Netherlands)- The Dutch are prime at one syllable awesomeness. This is the Dutch form of Shem, a Biblical name. Only thing is it might get mixed up with Sam a lot in America.
August (Denmark and others)- I do enjoy this name. It’s retro, strong, and has the nickname Gus, which I can't help but love.
Axel (Several countries) - That’s right. Like an axel rod. But it’s awesome. I would not want to mess with someone named Axel. There is also a female version, the French Axelle (ax-ELLE), which is equally unusual and neat.
Arthur (Belgium) - It’s about time this caught on again. Arthur sounds like that geeky chic guy who makes it big in computers and is nerdily good-looking. I vote yes.
Pim (Netherlands)- I think this is fun to say. Dutch short form of Willem. Could possibly be a replacement for Tim or Jim, though I would recommend it as a nickname only. Pim as one's full name sounds kind of like a joke.

(Image courtesy of zimbio.com) Will Ferrell has sons named Axel, Magnus, and Mattias.
Those are my male and female candidates for some of Europe's best undiscovered names. Which do you like best? Least? Any you think I should have added? 

No comments:

Post a Comment